John Wooden was a legendary coach, considered by many to be the best coach, college or pro, in the history of basketball. He understood that a key to success is having discipline over you're own life first, then providing discipline for the guys you coach.
When Coach Wooden was 12, his father gave him a simple creed, written on a tattered piece of paper, that he kept in his wallet. Those words, which I have shared below, served as his guidepost for the rest of his life.
- Be true to yourself.
- Make each day your masterpiece.
- Help others.
- Drink deeply from good books.
- Make friendship a fine art.
- Build shelter against a rainy day.
- Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.